Saturday, April 16, 2011

Too Much Power, Too Little Knowledge

-2011-
"Effective close of business April 15, 2011, your services as a KBE/KDE Division Director are no longer needed by the Kentucky Department of Education."
-Education Letterhead
Steven L. Beshear, Governor
Terry Holiday, Ph. D., Commissioner of Education

-1987-
"To my grandson, Michael J. Miller, who is a good teacher, an outstanding actor, and an excellent dancer.  He can go to the top if given the chance.  My hope and prayer for Michael is that the Movie industry or television systems or both will find him and give him a chance to show his talents to the world."
-Autographed Copy
Douglas F. Miller, Rain in the Lyle Hollow, his first published work
Superintendent of Estill County Schools for eighteen years
Community Leader of America Award, 1968
Integrity Award from Eastern Kentucky University
Special Recognition from the Crippled Children's Association for fifteen years of continuous service

As I transition from my now former position as a leader in public education at the state level for decades, I think I'll choose my late Grandfather's wisdom and choose to carry with me in a very weather-tight tote. And the overwhelming support of parents, students, family members and colleagues I have had the priviledge to serve with and alongside along the way.

Kentucky was, and will again be, a great place to teach and learn alongside our most precious resource:  the children.... of coal miners, immigrant workers, suburban soccer dads, NextGen families, homeless cramped victims of the American dream who want nothing less but the same opportunities that should be the birthright of every human being in a free society:  the will and support to question, learn, and explore the secrets of the future we adults preparing for their future cannot yet know.

"The trouble was the familiar one: too much power, too little knowledge.  The fault was mine."
-Wendell Berry, Damages

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of this. What a loss for education in Kentucky. You know what they say about doors closing and windows opening, though; I'm sure you will find a window soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am without words! Your dedication and hard work for the children of Kentucky is without rival. What is going on? Such talent. It is most certainly our loss as educators and lifelong learners. You will move on to greater things my friend. Until then, if we can do anything at all...
    "Mary Charlotte" ~Grayson

    ReplyDelete