Monday, April 25, 2011

Revelation

"Sir, you nor I speak English, but there are some things that can be said only in English.
My ex-employer the late Mr. Ashok's ex-wife, Pinky Madam, taught me one of these things;  and at 11:32am. today, which was about ten minutes ago, when the lady on All India Radio announced, "Premier Jiambo is coming to Bangalore next week," I said that thing at once.

In fact, each time when great men like you visit our country, I say it."

-The White Tiger, Aravind Adiga, Winner of the 2008 Man Booker Prize

This, then, is an update from recent blogposts about events of the past two weeks, for all of you who have cared, asked, wondered, and prayed.  I will, if you will forgive, remain true to the "bullet points" used in the PowerPoint World of the American Education System. 

I have learned:

  • Treat people well, every person. In the work place, on the street, and in your own family, find a wayplace to reward:  a hug, a tear, a card, a prayer. Take a chance and hug someone who may not know how to immediately deal with it.
  • No matter what happens to YOU. Never compromise your beliefs. E.V.E.R.  Never, ever.
  •  Love the people that led you to the place where you are and rely on them to support you in the darkness and brightness of Change. 
  • Surprise yourself with dignity. 
  • When someone says, "What can I do to help?"  Take it.  It will be the best "Thank you." you've ever said.
So many people from work have contacted us.  Longtime heroes.  Worried for me and my Tom.  All of you. People we've met only in the past year or so.  Friends from the recent past, with whom Tom and I have shared disimilar grief.  Old school roomies from college.  My brother and sister who know everything will work out okay, because that is what we Miller's do best: Overcome.

Tom and I are doing okay.  Treating each other well and working through this.  Thank you for your ongoing thoughts and prayers.

"Not the least of my problems is that I can hardly even imagine what kind of an experience a geniune, self-authenticating religious experience would be.  Without somehow destroying me in the process, how could God reveal himself in a way that would leave no room for doubt?  If there were no room for doubt,
there would be no room for me." 
-Frederick Buechner








1 comment:

  1. My dear friend,
    You have not just learned these things...this is you and always has been! (At least the you we know and love)
    Come visit us soon. Escape and spend a weekend poolside with libation in hand. We will have great fun.
    "Mary Charlotte"

    ReplyDelete